A not so Wordless Wednesday post - the Mrs. snapped this pic after I successfully completed 10 miles on my new bike (a Father's Day present).
While the kids are away doing their summer stuff we are back at home getting in shape before they come back and wreck our schedules. My current regimen consists of boot camp 4 days a week, swimming 2 days a week and biking 1-2 days per week. The Mrs. is doing kickboxing and Zumba also. But it's not just what you do to work out I'm rediscovering it also has to do with how you live.
Try a few, if not all of these on for size:
- Eat plenty of veggies.
- Lay off the bread, especially white flour bread.
- Eat fruit (but not too much as sugar is sugar - for example a bushel of grapes might be a lot).
- Resists sweets (or push them off until the weekends, at the very least).
- Drink water - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. How much is enough? I gauge it by 8 cups of water or when I feel full and/or no longer thirst.
- Be positive, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy the heat, savor A/C, attend festivals, take weekend trips, eat at outdoor spots once the sun goes down.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, not to the 22nd floor of course, but maybe?
- Play hard and find someone who will hold you accountable for your goals (an accountability partner).
- Be an example to someone else. Invite them to work out with you.
- Have fun with it! It's your life to make it what you will. You don't have to do what anyone else is doing or be like anyone else. Be uniquely and wonderfully you.
Thanks for reading! Follow me on Twitter at @EPayneTheDad.